Teh Tarik Forum

Your favourite fun place to hang out, relax, have a good time and talk about anything under the sun.

How Singapore solved its vernacular schools disease

daeva

How Singapore solved its vernacular schools disease

Post by daeva on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:52 am

In 1979, when I was waiting for my A levels results in Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew announced the closure of Nanyang University. It hit me on 2 fronts....

(1) Overnight, my choice of university courses got halved

(2) My brother whom I was staying with then, lost his alma mater.

But it took me all of 3 days to realize that of all of LKY's ingenuity, that was probably his best decision ever as the prime minister of Singapore.

(1) Even though competition for places in the only remaining university, NUS may get tougher, I know that if I managed to get in, in 3 to 4 years time,
    I would be able to come out with a degree that is relevant to the needs of the Singapore economy and hence enhance my employment prospects.

(2) The number of highly radicalized, mostly Malaysians Chinese educated ex college mates of my brother who came banging on door insisting that he join
    them in their protests and petitions even though my brother had repeatedly told them that he wants nothing to do with them convinced me that these
    people are more trouble than they are worth.

In the 60s and 70s, Singapore Chinese was not a homogeneous society. It was highly divided between the English educated and the Chinese educated
    who were politically still loyal to the communist leaning Barisan Sosialis and Lim Chin Siong.

Even though their numbers are not big, they are bloody noisy and a complete nuisance.

No matter what the Singapore government did to improve their economic lot, these people will insist on swearing their allegiance to China.

For as long as Chinese vernacular schools remained, the Us vs Them syndrome will never go away.

With the closure of Nantah, demand for Chinese education began to drop and soon they were phased out and the Singapore Nation begun to take shape.

That didn't mean Singapore was against the learning of Chinese Language and promotion of Chinese cultures, they couldn't afford to.

In fact they stepped out efforts to improve the proficiency and learning of Chinese language on many fronts.

(1) Chinese Language became a compulsory second language for all students whose mother tongue are Chinese and optional for others.

(2) Very high minimum credits, later relaxed, were set as minimum entry requirements to university and polytechnics for Chinese students.

(3) The Government embarked on a decades long Speak Mandarin campaign including reward schemes for civil servants

(4) All dialects programs were banned from TV and Radio.

The result was the standard of Chinese Language proficiency among Singaporeans went through the roof and I believe it is still much higher
    than those of Malaysians educated in Chinese schools today and Singaporeans generally became effectively bilingual.

What is clear is you don't need Chinese schools to learn Chinese language and promote Chinese culture.

There has not been a single Chinese school in Indonesia for almost 50 years but Chinese language and culture is still alive and kicking.

Anybody who tells you otherwise is a cow who only knows how to moo and bullshit.

It is all about control of the Chinese mindsets by politicians and Chinese business and community leaders.

I am all for the learning of Chinese Language not just because I am a Chinese but also for economic reasons

In fact I believe that with its rote learning system or rather lack of system, Chinese will complement English or Malay perfectly and provide a
    much more rounded learning experience to student.

I believe that Malaysia can try something like what Singapore did although we will never be able to adopt it wholesale because of political considerations

Chinese and Tamil vernacular schools absorbed into the national school system with options given to Chinese and Indians to learn Chinese as a second language
    or we can even make it compulsory with minimum credits required at each level. Of course the Malay students are free and welcome to learn it as well.

Only in that way, can we have a unified education system where students from all 3 major communities can study under one roof and learn and live with each other.

Not only is it a much more effective way of learning, it is the only way we can begin to start taking our first baby steps towards Bangsa Malaysia, or 1Malaysia.....
    beraneka bangsa dalam satu kebangsaan.

We have to start somewhere, What we currently have, One Country Multiple Education System we cannot continue forever. It will tear us apart.

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.goh.180/posts/1327341567362548

gjrforce

Re: How Singapore solved its vernacular schools disease

Post by gjrforce on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:13 pm

yayaya, only we hv another lky here la.
    ronan

Post by ronan on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:24 pm

haha.

tell that to Dong Zong lah.

Sponsored content