Teh Tarik Forum

Your favourite fun place to hang out, relax, have a good time and talk about anything under the sun.

Religious official denies ‘holy water’ in theme park claim

Winniepooh

Religious official denies ‘holy water’ in theme park claim

Post by Winniepooh on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 am

PETALING JAYA: Islamic authorities in Malacca have advised Muslims not to believe rumours that the A Famosa water theme park was “exposed to holy water”,
    following a posting made on social media on Monday.

The posting by a Facebook user has now triggered fears among Muslims that Buddhist “holy water” was “sprinkled” at the A Famosa water theme park in Alor Gajah, Malacca.

Zainuddin Ariff Hassan posted the message warning Muslims against going to the theme park because “Holy Water Tokong” (holy water from a temple) had been sprayed all over,
    and had also been mixed into the pool water where his children had played and was also used for the food.

He wrote: “Mohon Majlis Agama Islam Melaka untuk mengesahkan sama ada saya dan Anak2 saya perlu samak atau tidak”
    (“I appeal to the Malacca Islamic Council to verify if my children and I need to be cleansed or not?”)

Zainuddin also attached two video clips showing a group of people, including a child, in yellow vests sprinkling water from bottles around the theme park.

With the Facebook post shared by more than 14,500 users as well as the video clips garnering over 1.3 million views, the Malacca Islamic Religious Department (Jaim)
    decided to respond to the concerns among Muslims, Sinar Harian reported.

Jaim chief enforcement officer Rahimin Bani denied any “holy water” had been used at the theme park, saying its investigations into the incident showed it was only
    “mineral water” supplied by the resort to a Buddhist association that held an event there.

“The Buddhist group had only used bottled water which was supplied by the theme park itself. Nothing was mixed into the water. It was merely a symbolic ritual by the Buddhist group.

“It is part of an annual ritual to ask for safety and prosperity in accordance with Buddhist beliefs,” Rahimin was quoted as saying by the Malay daily.

Rahimin said Facebook user Zainuddin should have verified what he saw first before posting the message and video clips on social media.

“His actions in sharing the video online can invite possible confusion and trouble for the theme park, especially from among Muslim visitors,” Rahimin told Sinar Harian.

http://www.msn.com/en-my/news/national/religious-official-denies-%E2%80%98holy-water%E2%80%99-in-theme-park-claim/ar-BBxoaP6?li=BBr8Hnu&ocid=UE12DHP

Current date/time is Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:19 pm